Without a doubt, the year 2017 belonged to the Migos.
Contributing a consistent stream of radio-friendly hits, as well as club anthems since 2013’s Versace, the trio, consisting of Quavo, Takeoff, and Offset, proved their brand of music was unequivocally here to stay after the release of their second studio album, Culture. Propelled by the no. 1 single “Bad & Boujie,” the group made both the tabloids and the billboard charts their home after scoring such mainstream success.
For starters, let’s take takeoff.
Who will ever forget the group’s bout on Complex’s Everyday Struggle interview at the 2017 BET Awards with the hater of all haters, Mr. Joe Budden, when Takeoff was asked why he was left “off ‘Bad & Boujie.’” LOL. CLASSIC. Never one to miss an opportunity though, Sir Quavious used the group’s BET blunder to create other hit songs in 2017, such as “Ice Tray,” which boasts the line: “If a nigga hatin, call em’ Joe Budden (pussy!).” As the maestro and architect behind a lot of the Migos’ sound and success, he spent the latter part of 2017 racking up producer credits working with some of the biggest pop/rap artists in the music industry at a feverish pace (January 2017 Culture followed by Quaver’s December 2017 album – Huncho Jack, with Travis Scott). And what about Offset? Deemed the wild-card of the group due to his offstage antics and police run-ins, Offset raised his profile when he proposed live on Instagram to his breakout reality-star-turned-rapper fiancé, Cardi B. Whether personal or professional, the group members found ways to elevate their star power throughout the year.
Still, if the hits and the headlines of 2017 weren’t enough, the Atlanta-based rap group recently released their latest album last week, appropriately entitled, Culture II. Poised to prove that their platinum-selling first installment was no fluke, I present to you the TOP FIVE reasons why you should stream/download/buy Culture II.
- Aside from Quavo, the production features heavy-hitters such as: Pharrell, Kanye West, Zaytoven, Travis Scott, Cardo, Metro Boomin, DJ Durel, Buddha Bless, Da Honorable C.N.O.T.E., OG Parker, 808 Gods, Murda Beatz,
- TakeOff flourishes. The raspy MC delivers with lyrics like “Auto Pilot’s”: “To ever have a conversation/Hotboxing, there’s no ventilation/Sipping on drank and I snooze, prescription is my medication/Forget all your fears and face it/Pick up that cup and taste it/I break the heart on a bitch like I’m breaking a brick, but later in life she’ll thank me” – trust me, it sounds more impressive on the record.
- 24 Songs is an Earful. Even if you’re not a fan of every Migos song, there’s something on this album for everybody (trap, pop, dance-hall).
- All-Star Guest Features include: Drake, Cardi B, Nicki Minaj, Big Sean, Travis Scott, 2 Chainz, 21 Savage, Gucci Mane, Ty Dolla $, & Post Malone.
- Migos “Do It 4 the Culture,” AGAIN!