Hello and welcome to our latest installment of #TopTenTuesdays
Last week’s installment featuring the worst voices in R&B history seemed to ruffle more feathers than we could ever imagine LOL.
A sincere thank you to everyone who shares/commented and bookmarked the site because of it!
This time, we tackle the best Christmas songs in history.
Remember, as with every #TopTenTuesdays posting, this list is indeed non-negotiable.
Before I divulge into the list, we must make a special mention to one particular Christmas song.
One that really grinds my gears…
TLC – Sleigh Ride: Look, I love what TLC brought to the game back in the 90s, but this mess here, is precisely that…a hot ass mess! T-Boz is so horrible on this track, it sounds as if I was the one singing this, if I was really drunk and sick with the gout. I cringe every time I hear this on our beloved radio stations each Christmas season! If you don’t agree about this monstrosity of a song, we may just have to fight and we don’t need fisticuffs during the holidays now do we?
10. Run DMC – Christmas in Hollis: A staple in the hip-hop Chrimuh community. Every time I hear it, I instantly want some chicken and collards ASAP!
9. Pleasure Band – Santa Clause Is Coming To Town: Sure there are other versions that are probably better, but I’m from DC and I love Go-Go music. This is the jam WE love here in the DMV area.
8. Nat King Cole – The Christmas Song: If spiked eggnog were in musical form, this would be it.
7. O’Jays – Christmas Just Ain’t Christmas Without The One You Love: Another jam that reminds me of just being around my family as a kid. Vastly underrated performance by the O’Jays.
6. Boyz II Men f/Brian McKnight – Let It Snow: A new era classic. As cheesy as this video is, this song is pure gold. Who can be angry while listening to this? Plus, everyone tries to mimic the high pitched “LET IT SNOOOOOOW!” whenever they hear it…or maybe its just me?
5. The Emotions – What Do The Lonely Do At Christmas: An underrated classic here. Reminds me of my house growing up while my Mom and aunties came over and played cards during Friday nights during the Christmas season.
4. Snoop Dogg and Friends – Santa Clause Goes Straight to the Ghetto: C’mon people! Dont fake! This is the shiznit and will forever be the shiznit! Forgotten by most hip-hop fans, Death Row actually released a Christmas album and this blend here was the standout track by leaps and bounds. I actually wanted to put this higher but I didn’t want to get yelled at by my mom.
3. The California Raisins (The Temptations) – Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer: I’m a huge fan of some crankin’ ass falsetto. You get this in abundance here…AND THE CALIFORNIA RAISINS, B!!!
Sing it with me….
YOU’LL GO DOWN IN HIIIIIIIIISTORRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYY!!!
2. Donny Hathaway – This Christmas: THE Christmas staple. You hear it everywhere and its well deserved. This man only lived to the age of 33 but he left us with so much classic material. Such an amazing talent.
1. Temptations – Silent Night: The G.O.A.T.! Nuff said…
* Editor’s Note: Please be so kind to add to this list below. Comment and subscribe. Cheers!!!